Monday, June 9, 2014

Introducing My Morning Practice (first post in a series of five)

I’ve decided to devote a series of five posts on this blog to discuss the evolution of a practice I engage in every morning, seven days a week, before I launch into my work and/or other daily activities. I refer to this commitment as a morning practice, and it has been critical for enabling me to make major changes in my life during the past 15 years.  More importantly, I believe my experience in cultivating this morning practice can help others pondering how to better start their days to improve their personal and professional lives. 

If your experience in doing a morning practice even remotely resembles mine, you’ll gain:
  • increased clarity in thinking;
  • perspectives on changes in your life, in the process often feeling as though you are an “outsider looking in” on your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors;
  • heightened sensitivity to and control of your emotions;
  • better time management; 
  • increased productivity and efficiency in all areas of your life;
  • a deeper understanding of what’s important to you; and 
  • greater insight into why you think and act the way you do. 
My intent is to discuss a range of topics that have been critical to the flourishing of my morning practice.  Some will be relevant to your individual circumstances; others won’t.  Take what you like and use it any way you want. I don’t pretend to have the ultimate morning practice, as they are as unique as fingerprints. I encourage you to develop a practice that works for you no matter what that looks like. Recognize that this practice will change over time, for the better (at least in my experience!). 

To view all five posts in the series, click on the following links: Introducing My Morning Practice, Part 1;  Why I Do a Morning Practice, Part 2; Four Items I Need in My Morning Practice, Part 3; Writing: The Cornerstone of My Morning Practice, Part 4; and Reading During My Morning Practice, Part 5.  


No comments: